Sorry not sorry.
What You’ll Need
2 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
A Pinch of Salt
2 Teaspoons Pumpkin Spice
1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
2/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 Cup Water
3 Large Eggs
1 (15 Oz) Can Pure Pumpkin
2/3 Cup Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Curse yourself for not remembering to buy muffin cups. Get over it, but spray a generous amount of Cooking Spray into the muffin tin, just to be safe.
2. Sift together all dry ingredients (minus the brown sugar) in a large bowl, taking extra care to use baking soda and not baking powder. It’s a simple mistake that anyone could make (read: that I made and didn’t realize until I sat down to write this). While it doesn’t truly affect the taste, it definitely takes a toll on the appearance of your muffins. Be better than me. Make this the right way.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the brown sugar, eggs, water and vegetable oil together. Watch in horror as the delightful caramel color of the brown sugar turns into a grotesque shade of brown. Then, make it even more disgusting by mixing in the can of pumpkin. Orange + brown is never an acceptable color combination. Unless you’re a leaf.
4. Pour those wet ingredients into your (wo)man made well of dry ingredients. This step makes it a LOT easier to mix everything together, especially if you’re working with a wooden spoon you’ve had for 5 years and not something a little more wieldy (like an electric mixer).
Once the batter is nice and moistened, fold in those chocolate chip bits!
5. Break out your muffin tin. Place the batter evenly. I ended up using an ice cream scoop for exactness, but I realize it’s not really THAT deep.
Bake for 25 minutes. Spend 5 minutes of that time frantically searching for your phone, worried you might’ve (somehow) mixed it into your muffin batter. Question everything. Find it on the top of your fridge, and set the timer for 20 minutes to account for all the time those muffins were baking, oblivious to your minor setback.
6. Enjoy! Despite your worst efforts, these muffins should turn out semi-decent. I lost my phone, did a whole load of laundry while making these and even used the wrong ingredients and they still aren’t half bad!
Or you could just use this Pumpkin Muffins Recipe instead.